Monday 10 March 2008

DNA DATABASE DEBATE - UPDATE

This - from the Daily Telegraph - sparked my interest, not least because of my relatively recent blog about the DNA database (here).

Now I acknowledge that one has to be careful in making judgements about individual cases when one does not necessarily have all the details available. Nevertheless, even with that proviso, it is manifestly ludicrous and disproportionate that an individual should have his DNA and fingerprints entered on to the respective databases for the measly sum of £2.40 - which, according to the report he was going to pay anyway. Mr. Ahmad's explanation of his discomfiture at his treatment - "I don't want my DNA stored on the database because it implies I'm going to do something in the future. It feels like I have been tarred with the same brush as criminals." - is very much to the point. It demonstrates the uncomfortable transition from 'innocent' to 'suspect' citizen that is inherent in national/universal database schemes - and the seriousness of which, incidentally, is hugely difficult to understand or appreciate until such time as one has been subject to it. The case also underlines the way in which the Government's current policy - requiring DNA samples on the back of all recordable offences - could/would lead to an all-but universal database over time. One way or another, as more and more offences are added to the statute book and as more and more prosecutions are sought for what are essentially trivial reasons (dropping apple cores or what-have-you), it is getting increasingly difficult not to break the law!

I am reminded too that, in my previous post, I didn't make it entirely clear where I stand on this so I take this opportunity to tidy this up. Clearly I am vehemently opposed to any form of national/universal database. Rather I favour a threshold whereby prosecutions of recordable offences that result in convictions, together with arrests, whether or not resulting in conviction, for violent/sexual/serious crimes should require DNA samples to be taken and entered on the database. While this may be a tad difficult to draft accurately in law it strikes me as being the most proportionate way available to deal with the matter.

No comments: